CLCC is currently seeking a part-time Greenhouse Coordinator. Interested candidates should email a resume AND cover letter to pbyrne@creativeLC.org
Creative Living Community of CT
The CLCC greenhouse is designed to provide vocational opportunities to adults with developmental disabilities while producing microgreens for restaurants in the greater Hartford and Eastern Connecticut region. The Greenhouse Coordinator is responsible for the growth and delivery of microgreens, engagement with greenhouse volunteers, safety of program participants, and increasing microgreen sales. The CLCC greenhouse is located in Vernon, CT on the Tolland Agricultural Center grounds. This is a part-time position, 25-hours per week, with expected work schedule of Monday-Friday mornings. Occasional weekend and evening activities may be required.
The Greenhouse Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director and works in tandem with the Program Coordinator. The Greenhouse Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the greenhouse to include, but not limited to, the following:
- Assign tasks, organize, and provide daily (Monday-Friday) supervision of Greenhouse volunteers; this includes volunteers with Autism and other developmental disabilities. Assign and schedule tasks for unsupervised weekend volunteers.
- Harvest, plant, water, and maintain all crops alongside program participants and volunteers.
- Track propagation, labeling for start date, name of product, harvest date, initials of seeder, etc.
- Pursue and maintain ongoing relationships with retail customers for greenhouse products including restaurants, farmers markets, individuals, and special events.
- Develop the overall growing plan for CLCC customers
- Ensure safety of all tools and equipment; ensure used products and soil are disposed of properly
- Responsible for purchasing necessary supplies including soil, seeds, etc. while adhering to CLCC budget
- Provide daily quality control for product excellence.
- Invoice customers as needed
- Track daily greenhouse activities.
- Solicit new restaurant customers on a weekly basis; this may include email, phone, and personal solicitations.
- Meet quarterly with chefs from restaurant customers.
- Provide input into the CLCC greenhouse and program budgets.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Promote CLCC vision when appropriate.
- Help to create and maintain a positive all inclusive atmosphere for volunteers and growers
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize and conduct group and individual activities
- Ability to create modifications and adaptations for differently abled volunteers and growers
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Basic computer skills
- Maintain records and files
Required Education, Licenses, Certifications or Experiences
- Minimum high school diploma; college degree strongly preferred
- Driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Good driving record and appropriate insurance coverage
- Knowledge of and experience with daily greenhouse operations; experience growing and selling microgreens strongly preferred.
- Minimum six months experience working with and supporting special needs individuals
- CPR and First Aid Training
- The ability to lift 20 pounds regularly (soil, plants, etc.)
- The ability to move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces
- The ability to see and respond to dangerous situations
- The ability to work in very high (90 degrees) and very low (45 degrees) temperatures
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Patrick Byrne, Executive Director, pbyrne@creativeLC.org; applications will be reviewed and considered until the position is filled. Applications are only accepted via email and incomplete applications will not be considered.